Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Final Semester Begins

Today class is back in session for the Spring semester.  My final semester at CSU is full, I'm taking 16 credits, and am excited to be heading into the home stretch.  I am more concerned about finding work in 5months than about graduating.  I spent much of today chatting with classmates and discussing our mutual concerns for the future.  My friend Bob has been busy networking and is working outside the classroom and is finally breaking even on his equipment.  He is a passionate cameraman and views the entire world through the lens.  I will be taking his suggestions to heart. 

The wonderful thing about editing in today's connected world is that I can work almost anywhere with the right tools in place.  I have been networking over the last two years but not on the same level as Bob.  However, he plans on staying in the Cleveland area while I plan to relocate.  (The better to give my husband a shot at his dream: video game design.)  I have the physical tools, now I must add the virtual tools: a place to upload and download, a virtual presence so clients can find me, and advertising my skills.


In the meantime, I am applying to internships and jobs all over the country, focusing on the west coast.  I am looking at the online reels of professional editors to determine the types of clips I should include in my own reel.  Time is also crucial because it can't be too short nor too long.  The process is still nerve wracking as I way the pros and cons of the "right" wording or the "right" design.  Wish me luck and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Please be curteous and polite to all as I will be to you.